Dr Simon Lewis
Reader in Quaternary Science
School of Geography
Queen Mary, University of London
Mile End Road, London E1 4NS
Phone: 020 7882 8923
Fax: 020 7882 7479
Quaternary stratigraphy, fluvial sediments and environmental change, geoarchaeology
- Quaternary environmental change
- Environmental Resources
- The fluvial record from the Upper Thames valley during the last interglacial-glacial cycle
- Middle Pleistocene glacial sequences in the English Midlands
- The development of river systems in the Midlands and East Anglia during the
- Pleistocene Pleistocene geology and Palaeolithic archaeology in south-east England
- Project member of "Ancient Human Occupation of Britain" project funded by the Leverhulme Trust. [new window]
- Editorial Advisory Board Member, Journal of Quaternary Science [new window]
- Ashton, N.M., Lewis, S.G., 2011. The environmental contexts of early human occupation of northwest Europe: the British Lower Palaeolithic record. Quaternary International.
- Abel, R.L., Parfitt, S., Ashton, N., Lewis, S.G., Scott, B., Stringer, C.B. 2011. Digital preservation and dissemination of ancient lithic technology with modern micro-CT. Computers and Graphics 35, 878-884.
- Parfitt, S.A., Ashton, N.M., Lewis, S.G., Abel, R.L., Coope, G.R., Field, M.H., Gale, R., Hoare, P.G., Larkin, N.R., Lewis, M.D., Karloukovski, V., Maher, B.A., Peglar, S.M., Preece, R.C., Whittaker, J.E., Stringer, C.B. 2010. Early Pleistocene human occupation at the edge of the boreal zone in northwest Europe. Nature 466, 229-233.
- Ashton, N., Lewis, S.G., Parfitt, S., Penkman, K.E.H., Coope, G.R. 2008. New evidence for complex climate change in MIS 11 from Hoxne, Suffolk, UK. Quaternary Science Reviews, 27, 652-668. (doi: 10.1016/j.quascirev.2008.01.003)
- Preece, R.C., Parfitt, S.A., Bridgland, D.R., Lewis, S.G., Rowe, P.J., Atkinson, T.C., Candy, I., Debenham, N.C., Penkman, K.E.H., Rhodes, E.J., Schwenninger, J.-L., Griffiths, H.I., Whittaker, J.E., Gleed-Owen, C. 2007. Terrestrial environments during MIS 11: evidence from the Palaeolithic site at West Stow, Suffolk, UK. Quaternary Science Reviews, 26, 1236-1300. (doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2006.11.016)
- Ashton, N., Lewis, S.G., Stringer, C.B. 2006 Introduction: The Palaeolithic Occupation of Europe. A tribute to John J. Wymer, 1928-2006. Journal of Quaternary Science, 21, 421-424.
- Ashton, N., Lewis, S.G., Parfitt, S., White, M. 2006 Riparian landscapes and human habitat preferences during the Hoxnian (MIS 11) Interglacial. Journal of Quaternary Science, 21, 497-505.
- Preece, R.C., Gowlett, J.A.J., Parfitt, S.A., Bridgland, D.R., Lewis, S.G. 2006 Humans in the Hoxnian: habitat, context and fire use at Beeches Pit, West Stow, Suffolk, UK. Journal of Quaternary Science, 21, 485-496.
- Lewis, S.G., Maddy, D., Buckingham, C., Coope, G.R., Field, M.H., Keen, D.H., Pike, A.W.G., Roe, D.A., Scaife, R.G. and Scott, K. 2006. Pleistocene fluvial sediments, palaeontology and archaeology of the upper River Thames at Latton, Wiltshire, England. Journal of Quaternary Science, 21, 181-205.
- Ashton, N, Lewis, S.G., Parfitt, S., Candy, I, Keen, D.H., Kemp, R.A., Penckman, K., Thomas, G.N. and Whittaker, J. 2005. Excavations at the Lower Palaeolithic site at Elveden, Suffolk, UK. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society, 71, 1-61.
- Lewis, S.G., Maddy, D. and Glenday, S.S. 2004. The Thames Valley Sediment Conveyor: Fluvial system development over the last two interglacial-glacial cycles. Quaternaire, 15, 17-28.
- Ashton, N. and Lewis, S.G. 2002. Deserted Britain: declining populations in the British late Middle Pleistocene. Antiquity, 76, 388-396.
- Lewis, S.G. and Birnie, J.F. 2001. Little Ice Age alluvial fan development in Langedalen, western Norway. Geografiska Annaler, 83A, 179-190.
- Lewis, S.G., Maddy, D. and Scaife, R.G. 2001. Fluvial system response to abrupt climate change during the last Cold Stage: the Upper Pleistocene River Thames fluvial succession at Ashton Keynes, UK. Global and Planetary Change, 28, 351-370.
- Lewis, S.G., Whiteman, C.A. & Preece, R.C. 2000 (eds). The Quaternary of Norfolk and Suffolk: Field Guide. Quaternary Research Association, London 242pp.
- Lewis, S.G., Rose, J. and, Davies, H. 1999. Pre-Anglian fluvial and Anglian glaciogenic sediments at Knettishall, Suffolk, England. Proceedings of the Geologists' Association, 110, 17-32.
- Lewis, S.G. 1999. Eastern England. In: Bowen, D.Q. (ed.) A Revised Correlation of Quaternary Deposits in the British Isles. Geological Society of London, Special Publication, 23, 11-27.
- Lewis, S.G. and Roberts, C.L. 1999. Location of the buried cliff-line using resistivity methods. In: Roberts, M.B. and Parfitt, S.A. (eds), Boxgrove. A Middle Pleistocene site at Eartham Quarry, Boxgrove, West Sussex. English Heritage Archaeological Report, 17, 37-42.
- Maddy, D., Lewis, S.G. and Keen, D.H. 1999. Pleistocene palaeomeanders of the River Avon, Warwickshire. Proceedings of the Geologists' Association, 110 (2), 163-172.
- Ashton, N., Lewis, S.G. and Parfitt, A. 1998 (eds). Excavations at the Lower Palaeolithic site at East Farm, Barnham, Suffolk 1989-1994. British Museum Occasional Paper, 125, 305pp.
- Lewis, S.G. 1998. Quaternary Stratigraphy and Lower Palaeolithic Archaeology of the Lark Valley, Suffolk. In: Ashton, N., Healey, F. and Pettitt, P. (eds), Stone Age Archaeology. Essays in honour of John Wymer. Oxbow Monograph, 102, 43-51.
- Maddy, D., Lewis, S.G. et al. 1998. The Upper Pleistocene deposits at Cassington, near Oxford, England. Journal of Quaternary Science, 13, 205-231.
- Lewis, S.G. and Maddy, D. 1997 (eds). The Quaternary of the South Midlands and Welsh Marches: Field Guide. Quaternary Research Association, London, 156pp.