Dr Rob Davis
Post-Doctoral Research Assistant
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: +44 (0)20 7882 8927Room Number: Geography Building, Room 206
I am a Palaeolithic archaeologist and my primary research interests lie in the Lower and Middle Palaeolithic record of northern Europe. After studying for a BA in Archaeology and MSc in Palaeoanthropology and Palaeolithic Archaeology at University College London, I completed a PhD in Archaeology at University of Reading in 2013. From 2014 to 2016 I worked on the AHRC-funded ‘Fragmented Heritage’ project at University of Bradford. I moved to Queen Mary University of London in May 2016 to work with Professor Simon Lewis on the Leverhulme Trust-funded ‘ Breckland Palaeolithic Project’. This project seeks to use the exceptional geological, environmental and archaeological records of the Breckland of East Anglia to examine the relationships between human culture, technology and the changing environment and palaeolandscape during the Middle Pleistocene. I am also an associate member of the Natural History Museum-led ‘Pathways to Ancient Britain’ project and I am currently co-director of the Barnham Palaeolithic Field School.
- Hatch, M., Davis, R.J., Lewis, S.G., Ashton, N., Briant, B., Lukas, S. In press. The stratigraphy and chronology of the Pleistocene fluvial sediments at Warsash, Hampshire, UK: implications for terrace stratigraphy and Palaeolithic archaeology of the River Test. Proceedings of the Geologist’s Association
- Ashton, N., Lewis, S.G., Parfitt, S.A., Davis, R.J. & Stringer, C. 2016. Handaxe and non-handaxe assemblages during Marine Isotope Stage 11 in northern Europe: Recent investigations at Barnham, Suffolk, UK. Journal of Quaternary Science 31: 837-843.
- Davis, R.J., Hatch, M., Ashton, N., Hosfield, R., Lewis, S.G. 2016. Regional variation in the late Lower and early Middle Palaeolithic record of southern Britain: evidence from Warsash, Hampshire, UK. For submission to Proceedings of the Geologist’s Association 127: 558-574.
- Little, A., Elliott, B., Conneller, C., Pomstra, D., Evans, A.A., Fitton, L.C., Holland, A., Davis, R., Kershaw, R., O’Connor, S., O’Connor, T., Sparrow, T., Wilson, A.S., Jordan, P., Collins, M.J., Colonese, A.C., Craig, O.E., Knight, R., Lucquin, A.J.A., Taylor, B. & Milner, N. 2016. Technological Analysis of the World’s Earliest Shamanic Costume: A Multi-Scalar, Experimental Study of a Red Deer Headdress from the Early Holocene Site of Star Carr, North Yorkshire, UK. PLoS ONE 11(4): e0152136. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0152136
- Davis, R.J. 2015. Three Lower Palaeolithic handaxes from Southampton Common: candidates for the earliest archaeology in Hampshire. Newsletter of the Hampshire Field Club and Archaeology Society Spring 2015.
- Davis, R.J. 2014. Concerning the earliest Acheulean of Britain: the geological context of a handaxe
assemblage from Foxholes, Bournemouth, southern England. Lithics 35: 33-39.
- Hosfield, R.T., Marshall, G.D., Chambers, J.C. & Davis, R.J. 2013. Chapter 8: The Broom artefact assemblage. In R.T. Hosfield & C.P. Green (eds) Quaternary History and Palaeolithic Archaeology in the Axe Valley at Broom, South West England. Oxford: Oxbow.
- Siller, B., Sommer, U. & Davis, R. 2008. West Dean 2008: Excavations of Bronze Age lynchets on Little Combes Hill. Archaeology International 11: 54-57.
- Davis, R.J., Ashton, N., Lewis, S.G., Parfitt, S.A. & Stringer, C. 2016. Handaxe and non-handaxe assemblages during MIS 11 in northern Europe: Recent investigations at Barnham, Suffolk, UK. Palaeolithic Mesolithic Conference, 20th to 22nd October 2016.
- Davis, R.J., Lewis, S.G., Ashton, N. & Parfitt, S.A. 2016. The Breckland Palaeolithic Project: New Investigations of the First Acheuleans in Britain. European Society for the study of Human Evolution Meeting, 14th to 17th September, Madrid.
- Donahue, R., Evans, A., Leakey, L., Lintott, C., Davis, R.J., Wilson, A. & Sparrow, T. 2015. The Application of Citizen Science for Education and Exploration in Paleoanthropological Field Research. European Society for the study of Human Evolution Meeting, 9th to 12th September, London.
- Evans, A., Donahue, R., Wilson, A., Ashton, N., Sparrow, T., Davis, R.J., MacDonald, D. & Olle, A. 2015. Using metrology to benefit refitting and microwear; Novel approaches to two powerful interpretative tools. European Society for the study of Human Evolution Meeting, 9th to 12th September, London.
- Davis, R.J. 2015. Population Change During the British Acheulean: the evidence from the Solent Basin, UK. Unravelling the Palaeolithic Conference, Oxford.
- Davis, R.J., Ashton, N., Hosfield, R. & Lewis, S. 2014. Population change during the British Acheulean: the evidence from the Solent Basin, UK. International Conference of European Acheuleans, 19th to 21st November, Paris.
- Davis, R.J., Evans, A.A., Sparrow, T., Donahue, R., Wilson, A., Ugail, H., Ashton, N. & Ollé, A. 2014. Fragmented Heritage: automated refitting of the Acheulean. International Conference of European Acheuleans, 19th to 21st November, Paris.
- Davis, R.J. 2012. The Earliest Acheulean of Britain: evidence from the River Solent. Where the Wild Things Are Conference, March, Durham.
- Davis, R.J. 2011. Palaeolithic Archaeology of the River Solent. Palaeolithic Mesolithic Conference, 17th to 18th November, London.