menu

School of Geography

About menu

Timeline

Below you will find a timeline of geography at Queen Mary.

Origins

 
1887
 

People's Palace is born

The People’s Palace is born – a philanthropic organization designed to bring culture, recreation and education to the East End. 

 
1894
 

Geography being taught

First reference to geography teaching at the People’s Palace Technical Schools. 

 
1896
 

East London Technical College

The People’s Palace Technical Schools is renamed East London Technical College.

 
1905
 

East London College

East London Technical College becomes East London College. 

 
1910
 

Intermediate examination

Teaching of geography for the intermediate examination begins.

 
1913
 

Teaching to degree level

Geography first taught to general degree level in a joint Geography and Geology Department under the responsibility of geology lecturer Rev W.L. Carter.

Establishment

 
1915
 

University of London

East London College is admitted as a school of the University of London.

 
1918
 

Herbert G. Smith

Herbert G. Smith is appointed as Head of Department – under his headship geography becomes a firmly established degree subject. 

 
1921
 

Teaching at Honours degree level

Geography first taught at honours degree level. Smith teaches all the physical geography, and A.L. Higgins from the Department of Civil Engineering is responsible for surveying. To cater for human and regional geography teaching, Eva G.R. Taylor is appointed, followed by Bessie Tunstall in 1924. 

 
1934
 

Queen Mary College

East London College becomes Queen Mary College (QMC), now employing two geography staff members, John H.G. Lebon and Alice F.A. Mutton, and producing around five graduates a year. 

 
1930s
 

Beginnings of GeogSoc

The Geographical and Geological Student Society is established. 

 
1939
 

Evacuation to Cambridge

Britain is at war and students from QMC are evacuated to King’s College, Cambridge. 

 
1947
 

Geology and Geography separate

Herbert Smith retires and the joint department formally splits. J.F. Kirkaldy is appointed as Head of Geology, along with Percy F. Crowe as Head of Geography. 

 
1948
 

Cartographer appointed

Eileen Harvey becomes the first non-academic staff member appointed to the department as a cartographer. 

 
1950
 

Postgraduate teaching begins

First postgraduate student H. Pat White is awarded an MA. 

Expansion

 
1953
 

First PhD awarded

Arthur E. Smailes becomes Head of Department and first Professor of Geography at QMC. First PhD awarded to Parbati Sircar.

 
1963
 

Present Geography building opens

Moved into new premises, designed to house an annual intake of 35 students, opened officially in 1964 by Professor L. Dudley Stamp – one of the internationally best-known British geographers of the 20th century. 

 
1969
 

Course-unit degrees

First course-unit degrees are awarded, enabling geography to be combined with most other subjects taught at QMC. 

 
1971
 

Second Professor appointed

Eric Rawstron becomes the second Professor of Geography at Queen Mary College. At this point, geography was one of the largest departments at QMC. 

 
1973
 

Geography joins Faculty of Social Sciences

Following A.E. Smailes’ retirement, Eric Rawstron becomes Head of Department. The Faculty of Social Sciences is created to which geography is transferred. Annual undergraduate intake increases to 60. 

 
1981
 

E.M. Rawstron retires

David M. Smith becomes Head of Department. 

 
1983
 

Geography and Earth Science

The Department of Geology ceases to exist. Four members of Geology join the Department of Geography which is then renamed the Department of Geography and Earth Science. 

 
1984
 

Environmental Science degree begins

The Environmental Science degree and two academic staff, John Allen and Brian Alloway, transfer from Westfield College to Queen Mary. 

 
1985
 

New Head of Department

Bruce W. Atkinson becomes Head of Department. 

 
1987
 

Environmental Science degrees

First Environmental Science degrees are awarded at Queen Mary. 

 
1988
 

Department of Geography

Name reverts to Department of Geography retaining some space acquired from the geology department. 

 
1989
 

Queen Mary College and Westfield College

J. Murray Gray becomes Head of Department; the merger of Queen Mary College and Westfield College takes place this year. 

 
1992
 

New Head of Department

Philip E. Ogden becomes Head of Department. 

 
1994
 

A Century of Geography

June Sheppard publishes A Century of Geography for the department’s centenary celebrations. Annual undergraduate intake is around 125. Rita Gardner is appointed as Director of Environmental Science Unit. 

 
1996
 

Queen Mary geographer heads RGS

Nigel Spence becomes Head of Department. Rita Gardner is appointed as Director of Royal Geographical Society (with IBG). 

A world-leading school

 
2000
 

QMUL

Queen Mary and Westfield College becomes Queen Mary University of London. Roger Lee appointed as Head of Department. 

 
2004
 

Expansion into Bancroft building

Jaap van der Meer becomes Head of Department. A footbridge is built, connecting the Geography and Bancroft buildings. The opening of the Physical Geography Laboratories also takes place this year, representing a major expansion of space. The first David M. Smith lecture is given this year by Doreen Massey. 

 
2006
 

The Living Wage

QMUL becomes the first university in the UK to commit to paying the real Living Wage, following research undertaken in the City Centre – a new research centre launched within the department and designed to provide space for collaborative research that is focused on the city, urban politics, socio-economic exclusion and livelihoods, economic geographies, diaspora, migration and more. 

 
2007
 

New Head of Department

Adrian Smith becomes Head of Department. 

 
2008
 

Joint first in the UK

Stellar performance in the Research Assessment Exercise ranks geography at Queen Mary joint first in the UK. 

 
2010
 

School of Geography

Department of Geography is renamed to School of Geography. 

 
2011
 

New Head of School

Miles Ogborn becomes Head of School. 

 
2012
 

Russell Group

QMUL joins the Russell Group. 

 
2013
 

QMUL degrees

QMUL begins to award its own degrees. 

 
2014
 

Students' work displayed at City Hall

Alison Blunt becomes first female Head of School of Geography. QMUL is ranked 9th in the UK amongst multi-faculty universities for the quality of our research in the latest Research Excellence Framework. The opening of the School’s refurbished laboratory facilities including the River Lab also takes place this year. Exhibition by first-year students on ‘Reimagining London’ as the world’s first national park city is displayed at City Hall. 

 
2016
 

Equality award

The School receives Athena SWAN bronze award. 

 
2017
 

Student numbers continue to increase

Annual intake of undergraduate students nears 200. The Graduate Centre – a new hub for postgraduate study – opens on the Mile End campus. 

 
2018
 

New Head of School

Alastair Owens becomes Head of School. 

 
2019

125 years of geography

125 years of geography teaching at Queen Mary. 

Return to top